Who we are
People First Keighley & Craven is a registered charity supporting disabled people across Yorkshire & Humber, run by and for people with learning disabilities with lived experience.
People First Keighley & Craven have pioneered a unique Person Centred Approach to support, focussing on the skills and abilities of people with learning disabilities.
Inspired by those we work with, we support people to build the life they want and strengthen the communities in which they live.
Working to break down barriers and inequalities, to bring people together, supporting, empowering and enabling people to become active members of their community, promoting and creating a positive presence across the district.
What we do
- Speak up for ourselves and others.
- Act as representatives to inform and make change to local and national policies.
- Work as Experts by Experience, working with Councils, NHS and other statutory services on the needs of disabled people.
- We provide training to our members.
- We work locally and nationally to learn and share our knowledge and skills.
- We provide training to other organisations.
- We campaign for the rights of all disabled people.
- We consult, challenge, communicate and collaborate with our stakeholders.
How we do it
- We support each other.
- Run our own organisation.
- Employ Paid Workers.
- Offer Paid for Services.
- Offer Volunteering Opportunities.
- Promote Equality & Diversity in all our work.
- Provide Respite, Residential and Retreats to our members and carers.
- Provide Disability Awareness Training.
- Run Health Awareness Campaigns.
- Work with Health Professionals across the district.
- Work with Schools and Colleges.
- Work in partnership with like-minded organisations.
- Hold regular social events
We make adjustments not Excuses